Bagshaw`s 1850 Directory: Disley
List of names
`DISLEY township, chapelry and well built village, very pleasantly situated on the Manchester and Buxton road, 6 1/4 miles S.E. from Stockport, contains several good Inns and a fine old church; the bold undulating district with which the village is surrounded abounds with scenery of great diversity and picturesque beauty. The township comprises 2,523 acres of land, mostly a thin soil, exposed, and cold; Thomas LEGH, Esq. is owner and lord of the manor. In 1841 here were 438 houses, and 2,191 inhabitants; population in 1801 995, in 1831 2,037. Rateable value £5,925. The rent charge amounts to £96 per annum. A family which took its name from the township, held lands at an early period, by the service of being foresters of Macclesfield; these land (sic) seem to have been passed by inheritance, to SUTTONS and SHERDS, or SHERTS. The last mentioned family, which was settled at Disley as early as the reign of Henry V1., continued to reside at Shert Hall in this township, in 1662.
The CHAPEL dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome structure in the gothic style, with a tower and six bells; it was rebuilt, consecrated, and made parochial in the year 1558, since that period it has been rebuilt, except the tower, and it was enlarged and beautified by Richard and Thomas ORFORD, Esq. in 1835, who also gave a fine organ, which cost upwards of £800. The east window is richly beautified with stained glass illustrative of scripture history. The living is a perpetual curacy, returned at £130, in the patronage of Thomas LEGH, Esq., and enjoyed by the Rev. Noble WILSON. Among the memorials is a handsome monument to Richard ORFORD, Esq., very finely sculptured. A flag-stone remembers Joseph WATSON, buried June 3, 1753, aged 104 years. He was park keeper at Lyme upwards of 64 years.
The NATIONAL DAY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL is a substantial stone building, which was enlarged in 1834, and endowed by Ellen RICHARD, and Thomas ORFORD, with the annual sum of £50, payable out of the Wood farm estate at Marple, £30 of the said gift to be divided among six female monitors, £5 to be distributed in bread to the parents of the children upon Whit-Sunday, £7 among the singers attending the school, and a yearly sum of £8 to be expended in bibles as rewards for the scholars. About 600 children attend the Sunday School. The National Day School has an attendance of about 100 scholars.
The WESLEYAN METHODIST SUNDAY SCHOOL, 1/2mile S.E. from the church, was built by Mr. HEALD; Mr VICARS has presented a library of upwards of 500 volumes, for the use of the school and the workmen at his mill. The school is used as a place of worship by the Methodists on a Sunday. The Wesleyans have also a Day and Sunday School situated about 1 1/2 miles E from the church.
The DISLEY MUTUAL IMPROVEMENT SOCIETY occupy rooms in Crescent Row, and has about forty members; it comprises class rooms, library, and reading room, furnished with newspapers and the most popular periodicals of the day for the use of the members. Mr James RALSTON is president. The institution has the patronage of the principal gentlemen in the neighbourhood.
The following are the principal houses, with their bearing and distances from the church. CHESHIRE VIEW, 1/2 N.W., a handsome stuccoed villa, the residence of Legh SLATER, Esq. WATER SIDE HOUSE, 1 mile S.E., the residence of Archibald VICARS, Esq. SPRING BANK COTTAGE, 1/4 mile E. in the occupancy of Mr James RALSTONE. The PARSONAGE is a neat residence a little W. from the church. Grove Mill and Waterside Mill are two extensive establishments for spinning and manufacturing cotton goods. Calico Printing and candle wick manufacturing are also carried out in the township. The extensive establishment of Messrs BUCAN and WELSH, calico printers, are situate on the Derbyshire side of the Goyt, which here bounds the county. The Peak Forest Canal intersects the township for several miles.
CHARITIES- Thomas OUFF, in 1629, left a rent charge of £1. 3s. 4d. to be distributed in bread on Christmas day. The Poor`s Land consists of about three statute acres, let for £4. 4s. a year; and old deed, of the time of Charles 1., appears to relate to this property. Francis GASKELL left the sum of £50 for the benefit of the poor. This legacy was held by Thomas CLAYGHTON, agent to Colonel LEGH, till 1822, when he became bankrupt, since which nothing has been paid, and the charity, it is feared, is irrecoverably lost. William GASKELL gave £10 to Disley Church, and to Disley school, to be divided equally between them. Thomas GASKELL, in 1736, gave £100 to be laid out on land, at the discretion of Peter LEGH, Esq. and Mr John GASKELL, of the interest, 20s. to be paid to the minister of Disley and £3. 10s. to the master of Disley school for the instruction of six poor children from Lyme Handley. The parliamentary returns state that Alexander KNOWLES left £1 10s. to the poor, of which nothing is now known.
POST OFFICE, AT MR. CHARLES ATKINSON`S, RAM`S HEAD INN
Letters arrive at 12 noon, and are despatched at 2 1/2 P.M.
BRELSFORD, Jas Stone Mason
BRUNT Isaac, N. schoolmaster
CHADWICK, Ts, cotton band mfr
FAIRALL Sl, watch & clock maker
FLEMING Edward, schoolmaster
GOODMAN John, surgeon
HOLGATE, Thos. wheelwright
HOWARD Sml. joiner & builder
JOHNSON Cardine, druggist
LOMAS George, registrar of birth & deaths
*MARSLAND John, boot & shoemaker
MOOR Mr William
MORRIS John, brick & tile mkr
PLATT Jno, saddler & harness mkr
RALSTON Mr James, Spring Bank Cottage
SLATER Leigh, cotton spinner, Disley wood
VICKERS Archibald, cotton spinner, Water side House
WILSON Rev. Noble, Parsonage
YATES Thomas, dyer
BUCAN & WELSH
YATES Charles & Co
HIBBERT Robert & Co., cotton waste dealer
Cotton Spinners & Manufacturers
SLATER Leigh, Grove Mill
VICKERS Archibald, Water side Mill
ARDERN Js. Stanley Hall
BARLOW Jno. Cockshot
CLAYTON Sl. Green`s Hall
OLLERENSHAW Ts & Wm
PIMLOTT Ts. Stanley Hall
Inns & Taverns
Ram`s Head, Chas. ATKINSON
Ring o` Bells, My. HOLDGATE
Soldier Dick, Wm TRAVIS
Swan with Two Necks, Jordan BRADBURY
White Horse, Jas. P METCALF and plumber & glazier
White Lion, John DIXON
Grocers and Tea Dealers
Marked * Corn Dealers
HIBBERT Jph & draper